Sanibel Fire & Rescue District employs 21 uniformed Firefighters to protect the lives and property through their involvement in firefighting, emergency medical care, fire prevention, disaster response, community service, and public education. SFRD operates out of two fire stations that are staffed 24/7 with three shifts working rotating 24/48-hour shift schedules. Our district covers a total of 33 square miles of barrier island with 17 miles of beachfront. The district responded to 1,711 emergency calls in 2021.
- Firefighter/Paramedic - Experienced/Lateral (preferred)
- We value previous paid firefighter experience and are willing to compensate our new hires based on the paid experience they bring to SFRD.
- To qualify for experienced firefighter pay, applicants must have at least 5 years of paid experience as a firefighter (within the last 12 months) with a full-time fire service agency whose primary responsibility is fire protection and emergency medical service and complete the one-year probationary period.
• Current State of Florida Minimum Fire II Standards Certificate of Compliance
• Current State of Florida Paramedic certification
• Current AHA BLS CPR Healthcare Provider certification
• Current AHA ALCS Provider certification
• A valid Florida Driver's License
• High School Diploma or GED
Applicants that receive an invitation to test will be notified via email and receive testing information. Selected applicants will need to pass a written test, perform a swim evaluation, and a physical agility test before moving on to an oral interview.
Per the Fire Chief’s discretion, top candidates may be selected for a final Chief’s interview.
A pre-employment physical, drug test, criminal and driving record background check, and psychological evaluation will need to be completed prior to employment.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of all items listed above.
Tentative Dates for testing: February 22nd, 2022
Tentative Dates for Oral Interview: February 24 and 25th, 2022
The annual salary range will start at $67,123. (Credentialed paramedic wage)
Experienced Firefighter/Paramedics with 5 years of previous experience will qualify to move up to step 4 Firefighter after the completion of their one-year probationary period.
Applicants must email their resume, certifications, and driver's license to Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Barbot at KBarbot@SanibelFire.com. Applications must be turned in no later than Friday, February 4th, 2022, at 4:00 pm. Please do not call.